Briefing now, similar task to yesterday 109km, with forecasted similar conditions, but drier air with less clouds.
It was pretty good racing and strong conditions until til first TP and back towards start. The whole team had a good start, but Olav Lien Olsen was pushing a bit hard and landed close to the first TP. Olav Opsanger and I had a fast flight back to the ridge south of takeoff, when conditions were weaker and we had to change gears a bit and slow down.
I got a terrible line as we glided to the edge of the plateu and came in below Johnny Durant and Olav who banked up in a good core, I could not find the thermal and ended up on my own struggling to get high while the main gaggle further out in the valley got high.
I finally got up and came in over the lead gaggle just before the second TP, but the conditions were slow and weak, and I needed around 150m more height to get back into the lead thermal. I joined a weak core with Bjørn Joakimsen, but we could not find the thermal we needed and landed after some kilometers.
Erland landed close to the second TP, while Olav Opsanger had a great flight and came to goal with 3. place.
We flew a short test task yesterday, and went to the opening ceremony and mandatory safety briefing. It’s around 100 pilots here, and the weather forecast is pretty good for the coming days.
Setting up at launch we can see the first cumulus clouds forming in the valley to the east.
Task today is 107km via 3 TP.
Yesterday turned out to be a fairly good day, it was quite weak thermals early so we all hung out in big gaggles waiting for the second start gate at 1340, for the 84km task.
I flew with Erland until the first TP, while Olav took a different line and met up with us after turning around at the TP. The altitude limit was 2745m GPS height, as the lift got better during the day we had to pull out of lift a few times. Unfortunately Olav had not set up the GPS altitude field on his instrument and went too high and got penalized for it.
Today is very windy at takeoff. We hope it calms down a bit. Otherwise looks like a good day with lower cloudbase.
The task is 91km today.
Yesterday turned out to be very stable and difficult for flying, nobody got far and there were some very late retrieves from the valley below takeoff. We got picked up early by our excellent driver Felipe.
Today should be better conditions, but it feels like yesterday at launch, with some high clouds moving in over us. No task has been set yet.