Rain, overdevelopment, more rain, canceled at 12:00 today. Unstable forecast.
The first day of the Norwegian Nationals was canned, we got overdevelopment and rain after setting up at Salknappen.
Yesterday we got perfect conditions with cloudbase above 2000 meters and weak winds. The task was set to be a 82.8km out and retur, Vole – Kvam – Otta – Vågå centre – Vågå landing. It was slow going in the beginning, I found a nice 4 m/s termal over “bekken” after takeoff, and took the 13:30 startgate with Nils Åge and Erik Vermaas. We glided towards Vågåruste, I stopped and took a weak thermal after a few km, Nils åge went on and gotstuck low in Vågåruste. Erik and I got to cloudbase after a while, and we stopped a few more times before gliding over to Heidal, where Erik got stuck low below me. I stayed high and followed the clouds until the first TP at kvam where the air was dead. I searched around for lift in the whole area, wasting 800 meters before I took the TP and found some weak lift in the shade below Torgeirkampen. I met the gaggle getting back up, and got kicked around in a violent thermal near Otta. I saw Robin coming back low over Torgeirkampen after the TP, but I was still far ahead of him.
After taking the TP over Otta i got back up to 2000 meters above Ottaplatået, and went on glide 19 km out from the last TP, my Galileo told me I would have plenty of height, but I suspected headwind, and also had to calculate in the 3 km final glide from Vågå center to goal. I got a reasonable glide in weak headwind, but decided to stop and tank up some safety altitude behind Lalm, from there in it was a fast glide. I knew Tor Erik was maybe 15 minutes behind, but with with a later start time as well. I was first in goal, Tor Erik second, he had a minute faster time, but I won the day on departure and arrival points. Johnny was third, Olav, Robin, and Nils Åge next. A total of 10 pilots made goal, with the rest spread out nicely – a perfect day scoring wise.
Results at http://www.kkpg.no/index.php3?id=408
Sadly the weather forecast was dead on today, overcast and rain. Tomorrow might be nice though.
Since the forecast was negative we packed up and went home before the last day. We drove through some massive overdevelopment on the way back to Oslo, huge CB with rain and hail in the whole area. I talked to Thomas on the phone and they had flown the last day, but no one made goal as it OD’ed over Köping. Seems like we did not miss much. Peter Isacson won the comp, while Håkan who was in the lead did not get away from the airstrip…
In Oslo it’s been overdeveloping as well, I had plans to go aerotowing from Trøgstad with Robin but when the first rainshower came at 10:50 as I was shopping some breakfast I changed plans. Today looked the same, might be a good day tomorrow.
Rather cloudy and wet this morning, the briefing was postponed to 13:00 as the forecast was positive about the afternoon. At 13:00 it’s still raining, and we cancel the day. I checked the charts at http://www.wetterzentrale.de and it does not look positive for tomorrow. I guess we go home tonight unless we get a much improved forecast later.
It was still quite cloudy this morning, and quite windy. We set up to get off early to avoid the forecasted front. The task was difficult to set, with weak conditions, low cloudbase and strong winds blowing us towards controlled airspace in Västerås. I was the first pilot to take a tow at 12:20, towing behind the BMW trike was no advantage today as it climbed too good into the wind. I released at 600 meter and searched around in broken and weak lift, found nothing good and landed back at the strip. I took a second tow, which was a repeat of the first. Only a few pilots managed to get away. We hung around the airstrip until the window closed at 17:00 in case it improved, but no such luck. A rather long and boring day. Tomorrow looks the same, wish we could get some better conditions soon.
Canned today, it’s been raining all day until now. There’s a blue hole in the west and the clouds are breaking up as I write this. Still there’s lots of water on the ground that need to dry up before we can have really good conditions again. The forecast for tomorrow is good, seems like this comps is one day off for each day of flying. Need a few more days to get a good comp out of it.
Finished one book today, (American Gods by Neil Gaiman, highly recommended!) and started on a new. Got the movie “Chicken Run” on DVD and saw it on my PC while lying in bed. Ate lunch and walked the streets of Köping until we started walking in circles, it’s not the most exciting place I’ve been to….
Today we had nice blue skies again, with a front predicted to come in by noon. We first got a 92 km task towards the NE, but it was changed to a 55km straight line to goal at Sala. I was drawn late in the take off line, and got a tow straight through sink all the way to 600 meters. I searched around the golf course but had to glide back to the airstrip for another tow. After waiting in line for 45 minutes I got the next tow. This time I decided to go for it no matter what, as the cirrus was building and shading the area around the airstrip. I got down to 250 meters as I crossed the start circle, and worked it up to cloudbase, slowly at 0,2 m/s at first, and getting near 3 m/s at cloudbase. Base was at 1500 meters today, much better than yesterday.
I crossed over to the next good looking cloudstreet, found a nice 4 m/s thermal at the same spot I landed on day 1. Approaching cloudbase it started to rain, and the area over to the next good looking clouds was in shade. It continued to rain, and I flew through lots of sink as the glider got really wet. I could see water flowing off the trailing edge, and there was some hail as well just to make it really nice for us pilots, glad I had my new helmet with visir. A swedish pilot on a Climax glided with me, we aimed for the next area with some sun on the ground, but it was in shade before we could make it out of the rain. I arrived with 100 meters above a nice big field where another glider was derigging, 27 km from goal, and landed safely there with a soaking wet glider. 1-0 to the weather deamons.
Nils Åge got off earlier and made a good run to take second place today. Håkan won the day.